Total Pageviews

Twitter

True Power

" True power does not need arrogance, a long beard and a barking voice. True power is attained with silk ribbons, charm and intelligence"

- Oriana Fallaci in "Il Divo"

Wednesday

Returning to the Scene of the Crime

 Due to my current alliances with   Everyminute.org (Michael Corbin), North Venture Partners (Alex Bernstein) and BringChange2Mind.org (Dr Cinda Johnson) and Alicia Sparks, my 'last minute' trip to  Miami on the eve of the 2010 Super Bowl  proved to be not only successful, but even more - enlightening. My most quality time was spent with my old friends Paul Pomfret (PDP Capital), Wendy Herr and Andy Bernstein (Mass Hysterics.com). These people 'get it' and are excited to work with everyminute.org. The sky is the limit and my team is evolving ..... very nicely. ; )
      As you all know, my 'quantum shift' has taken place much to the surprise of many of my former NFL co-workers and members of the media. After reviewing my credentials and press release for everyminute.org, the responses I received from the media, for the most part, were mixed. Woven in among the 'congratulations on your efforts', 'you look like a rock star' and 'you're an inspiration'; were the looks, vibes and whisperings of  'we really don't want to address, suicide depression and the effects concussions on athletes'.
    My old friends from Baltimore were great. 'Nasty Nester', Scott Garceau and Wally Williams embraced my cause(s). But 'between us girls'....... The topics of bipolar disorder, suicide and depression were only delicately sprinkled into questions of  'let's talk about the good old daze' and 'who's going to win the big game'. I had no problem 'switching channels' and 'playing the game'. The media is there to entertain. This is their job...and I respect this. But after all was said and done, talking about depression and suicide probably wasn't a number one topic in the eyes of each program director.
   Returning to the scene of the crime (the NFL), was a grave reminder of how football is big business. I felt badly for all the 'kids' with their 'bling', overinflated egos and (de)illusion of being on top of the world. I understand the feeling. Been there. Done that. It only enhanced how important my quest to educate and prevent depression will be. Stay strong and stay tuned. GM
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So well-written, Greg. The people that "get it"re the only ones that count anyway.You are doing a great service to so many: with or without mental illness. xoMom